It has taken me a week to figure out how I am going to organize my thoughts and memories in order to write this blog. I have finally figured it out, yay! For those who don't know me as well, let me fill you in on what most of my blog will revolve around.
Adoption.
I was born on October 31st, 1992 in Tyler, TX and adopted a few days later...but my life and story began W A Y before this date.
Here is my story...It is a story of God's will being done. God has been so gracious to reveal his plans for my family so clearly. So although this is my life story, this is ultimately God's story over my life.
This is the very beginning, starting from the months before I was born. Since I was not born, I can't really tell this part from my point of view...So, I got the scoop from my adoptive mom, Sue. This week is just from her point of view. I called her this afternoon and this is what she told me...
WARNING: grab your box of tissues now. This tale is not for the faint of heart and is an EPIC true story about how I became a Prude.
The story begins with my parents long time best friends, Ron and Penny, who heard I was being born and decided they would like to adopt me. They had spent a lot of time talking to my birth mom, Shannon, on the phone about the adoption and everything involved. They stayed in touch with her throughout the process and doctor appointments. They grew to have a very special bond. In July, they got a phone call from an adoption agency saying they had twins at the hospital who were ready to adopt if they wanted them. They had been waiting for this phone call/opportunity way before they knew about Shannon and me. With lots of thought and prayer behind the decision, they went through with adopting the twins. They told my mom and dad the news and my parents were so excited.
About 3 weeks later, my mom went to meet the twins and help Penny out. My mom asked Penny what they were going to do about Shannon's baby and if they were still going to go through with the adoption. She told my mom that they would not be adopting her baby anymore since they had gotten the twins, but that there were couples in their church who were interested, although, none of them had worked out. Soon after, specifically Wednesday afternoon, Penny had remembered something and this is how their conversation went:
Penny: Weren't you and Kelley wanting a third child?
Mom: We're in the process of moving to New Jersey, I don't think Kelley will go for it.
Penny: Why don't we pray about it? Just you and I.
So they prayed.
They prayed that not their will would be done, but His will be done.
They prayed that prayer every single day and kept it between the two of them.
That Saturday, My Aunt Miriam called my mom. Miriam told her to sit down because she had big news for her. Miriam began explaining a dream she had the previous night involving my parents adopting a baby girl. Miriam explained that she thought it was a vision from God. Tears welled up in my mom's eyes and she told Miriam everything. She explained Penny's situation and how they had been praying for Shannon's baby. Miriam urged my mom to call my dad immediately and tell him everything...so she did.
My dad was in New Jersey at the time house hunting. He had gotten transferred for work and had to prepare to make the move with my mom and 2 brothers. My dad called my mom every night when he was away to talk with her and the boys. This night was no different, he called and my mom told him everything. She specifically remembers the conversation going like this:
Mom: I need to share something. Please don't think I've lost my mind or sound crazy.
(explains the story about Penny and her praying and Miriam's dream)
Mom: ...This has never happened to either of us (referring to prayers being answered so clearly), but do you remember when we were dating and how we talked about having a couple of kids and then adopting? Maybe this is our time? Please don't say anything... I know you're probably in shock, but can we just pray about it?
My dad was shocked, but agreed to pray about it. Then he asked, "What if this baby is a boy?" My mom replied, "I've raised 2 boys pretty well so if this is God's will, I will raise a 3rd." They ended their conversation with the promise to pray that night, again, for God's will to be done.
My dad researched that night for churches in the area. He wanted to find a church home before my mom and brothers moved. He found two that looked promising, but decided on one to try the next day. Then, he prayed. He prayed specifically that the preacher would mention something about adopting a little girl. If the preacher mentioned this, he would know for sure that Shannon's baby would be theirs.
Sunday afternoon, my dad called my mom to tell her what had happened...
NEXT TIME ON BEING A. PRUDE.
No comments:
Post a Comment